Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's Working!

Well, I've somehow managed to lose 16 pounds since the beginning of the year. Not too shabby! I just hope I'm able to keep losing, and then to keep the weight off!

In the process of losing weight, I've been learning a lot about food and nutrition. It's really amazing the things we eat, how they are sooooo not good for us. But, I'm learning, and I'm starting to make better overall choices.

I've added to my daily fiber intake considerably. Once I started tracking how much fiber I was getting in a day, I realized that I was getting anywhere from 2 grams to less than 10 grams a day. They recommend getting 25-35 a day, minimum! Huge difference there. So, I did a little research and started to learn which foods were high in fiber. Adding just a few things like multi-grain English Muffins or tortillas has gotten me to where I'm now getting anywhere from 25+ without really trying. One word of caution though folks...when upping your fiber intake, do it slowly. It can cause some serious gas! Sorry if that's TMI. LOL. I've got it under control, but I did a gradual increase, not like what I had thought about.

This week, I'm going to try soy milk instead of regular milk. I've been drinking 1% milk for quite a while. I am lactose intolerant though, and I'm curious if I can help with that by switching to soy. The soy milk is very comparable to the 1% in calorie and fat content, but I believe that it has more protein in it. Hopefully it'll work out. I'll know in a couple of days.

More later.

2 comments:

Lisa Todd said...

You are doing great, keep it up!

Elisa Sherman | photosbyelisa.com said...

This is awesome!!! I am so jealous!

I think soy is the right move if your system can handle it...especially if you're lactose intolerant...

I switched to non fat in college and now prefer it...but I actually found that by drinking it too much(yeah you heard me) I was intaking too many calories...it's that darned moderation thing! And it's not all about fat...

There is no way one consumes as much soy...so right there, it's a caloric moderator...

And as long as you get your nutrients alternately you will be golden!

Sigh...I need to do something...many things...not the least of which is starting to hit the gym more agressively...wahhhh lol...