Sunday, March 16, 2008

SXSW: Calhoun at Docs

I got to go to SXSW (South By Southwest) in Austin this weekend, briefly. I was with my mom and grandmother, so it wasn't quite how I would have done SXSW on my own, but I still had a good time.

Calhoun, a Fort Worth band, is one that I've been meaning to go to see live for quite some time. I discovered them on myspace about a year or more ago, and I love their music. The lead singer's voice is gorgeous on recordings.

I had no clue that Calhoun would be playing in Austin this weekend though, so it was a pleasant surprise. We headed down to Congress and started walking around to see what was going on. When we walked past Docs, we discovered that a band was about to start performing and there were plenty of places to have a seat. I wound up right up front.

The band started to play, and I really enjoyed what I was hearing, primarily the lead singer's falsetto. After the first song of their set, they mentioned that they were Calhoun from Fort Worth!!! Pretty cool. Some of their other songs were ones that I recognized. All of them were fantastic. I had a lot of fun. I'm going to have to go see them around here the next time I notice that they are playing in the Denton/Fort Worth area.

You should definitely check them out! You can find their music at their MySpace page. Or check out their official website at calhounmusic.com.

More on SXSW soon!

1 comment:

Lisa Todd said...

I am not familar with them, but it sounds like you had a great time out with your family.