Wednesday, August 6, 2008

SYTYCD - Top 4 - Commentary

Courtney and Twitch - Hip Hop (Tabitha and Napoleon - We know Twitch can hit it hard, but I've definitely got questions about Courtney. I see some definite improvement from her, but I'm not sure this is something that I really would want to see any more of from her in the future. I wasn't really all that into the routine by Napoleon and Tabitha either. It wasn't a bad performance...but it wasn't anything I loved at all either. Not my kind of hip hop.

Katee and Joshua - Contemporary (Wade Robson) - I can't wait to see what Wade has choreographed! I can't think of anything of his other than last season's fox routine that I haven't absolutely loved. Seeing these two working together again is really exciting for me. I love Joshua and Katee together. The little touches that Wade puts in like kissing her elbow are really just beautiful. Really lovely routine with tons of emotion, and these two pulled it off insanely well. I'm nuts about everything about this.

Katee and Courtney - Broadway (Tyce Diorio) - Parasols, Tyce? Hmmm...I just really don't know what to say about this one. I typically really love Tyce's choreography, but this one is doing absolutely nothing for me in any way, shape, or form. And I'd have to say...I don't think it is the girls' fault. They did what they could with what they were given, in my opinion. But this piece just really didn't work for me. These two could have been amazing together in so many things, but this one, to me, just isn't the right piece for them.

Twitch and Joshua - Russian Trepak (Youri Nelzine) - I'm really, really intrigued! I've seen some dancing in this style before, and this is difficult stuff. Oh yeah, and I love the Nutcracker Suite! Wow! Joshua's leaps are insanely high. And the floorwork they've got Twitch doing is unreal. I don't know that any other combination of guys from this season could have pulled this off like these two are. And how cool is it to see so many different styles of dancing this season? Awesome! It will really be a shame if one of these two doesn't win.

Katee and Twitch - Foxtrot (Tony Meredith and Melanie LaPatin) - I really hope for Twitch's sake that his smooth ballroom skills have improved! His frame is improved! I don't feel like his shoulders are up next to his ears any more on this. And I really think they both are doing well with this, the footwork, the lines, the lifts...all really pretty good. I love the choreography for this foxtrot. And Twitch really played the part of a gentleman with it. Not bad at all.

Courtney and Joshua - Jive (Jason Gilkison) - They may have finally found a style that I won't love Joshua dancing. His footwork is okay, but his kicks don't seem quite right. I don't feel like he's kicking high enough, and not getting the retraction down quite right. I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to Courtney in this one. It was a really insanely tough routine though, without a doubt. They got the tricks down really well though, and they were spectacular!

Top 4 - Contemporary (Mia Michaels) - Katee really shines next to Courtney in this one for me. They are performing the same movements, but my eyes go to Katee. And the same for Joshua over Twitch. Which surprises me a bit. I love what Mia created with this one - it is truly gorgeous, the movements involved in creating this dance. Oh yeah, and shirtless Twitch and Joshua on one stage...hell yeah. This was just a really amazing performance from all of them, all said though.

Solo order: Courtney, Twitch, Katee, Joshua

I'm still not thrilled by Courtney's solos. She has really nice lines, but her movements in her solos feel almost frantic. I love her when she's choreographed, but not as much when she does her own choreography. She, for me, has to be the biggest surprise in the Top 4 though. Not because she isn't a beautiful dancer, but because she never really was one of the stand-outs. She just kept plucking her way through it all, and here she is. You go girl!

Twitch...what can I say? I love him! I love watching him dance. It doesn't matter to me if he is adding some comedy to his routine or just doing a straight hip hop kind of routine. He loves what he is doing, and he makes me love him. He is fabulous.

I love Katee's lines. She has a way of finishing off her movements that is very unique, and very polished, and it makes her so incredibly easy to watch her and love her. For someone I wasn't so sure about coming into the Top 20, she has proven me wrong and the judges who voted to put her through right. She is an amazing dancer, and I am in love with so many of her performances from throughout the season.

I love that Joshua went up to the judges' podium and danced there. He really brought a lot of personality into his solo, which for me is the only thing that is ever really missing in his solos. He is absolutely adorable, and he brought that into his solo tonight. I love him too. He's fabulous!

No comments: