Thursday, April 17, 2008

David Cook - Analog Heart

So I recently posted about one of my two favorites from this season's American Idol, Michael Johns. Today...today, it is all about David Cook. You can just call him Cookie. I do. I love Cookies. They are yummy. And yes, I'm saying that David Cook is yummy...at least he looks like he would be. I have (sadly) not tasted him to be sure.

Anyways. *clears throat* Um...what was this blog going to be about? Hmmm...Cookies...Cookies and milk? No, that's not right. No.

Oh yeah. David Cook's solo album, Analog Heart. If you haven't heard this guy sing on American Idol, you need to crawl out from under the rock you've been using to hide yourself from life and head over to Youtube RIGHT NOW. Just plug in his name and click on search. He is amazing. It'll be a travesty if this guy doesn't win American Idol this year, especially since now Michael Johns is out of it. The guy rocks. Seriously. No one else could possibly make me fall in love with a Mariah Carey song. Ever. And I wanna Always Be HIS Baby. Just sayin'.

And yet again, I am off topic. Good thing this is my blog, huh? *whew* It's getting warm in here. Okay...fine...since I'm already off topic, be sure to watch his version of Billie Jean, Little Sparrow, Always Be My Baby, and Eleanor Rigby on Youtube. If you fall in love with those (and him!) (which you will), then check it all out.

Then after you're done with that, and you're in love with the guy like I am, and you want everything you can get your hands on that the guy has ever done....then you need to head over to Amazon and buy his solo album Analog Heart. Seriously. This is beyond awesome. THIS is the kind of album that we'll be getting from him if he wins AI. And this is by far a better album than any first album by any of the previous AI winners. Just sayin'. I love him. I love his voice. I love his heart. And I love this album. Buy it.

Oh yeah...and David is a self-proclaimed "Word Nerd". I love that too. Because I have always had a thing for words. If you've read some of my more obsure, off-the-wall posts here, you know that I love literature and writing poetry...and I love music with lyrics that mean something. Typically, it is a song's lyrics that draw me in before anything else. And that is definitely the case with the Analog Heart album.

"I was a name across your lips, it's time to spit me out. I play the game when my heart rips, it's time to hear me out." (Fall Back Into Me).

"If you want to know the truth, you make or break my day. If you want to know the truth, I wouldn't have it any other way. I rest my head from running circles 'round my mind on why you let go. No answers to be found, romances all rewind, I guess I'll never know." (The Truth).

"You made me fall forever with no end in sight. When everything around is broken could you say that this felt right? You are, for contradiction's sake, everything I remember that I swore I'd forget." (Searchlights).

"I try to breathe deep. I try to find sleep. I try holding on to the same old song just because of a brand new verse. And I found what I always wanted as she walked away." (Stitches).

"Lost her way from everything she swore she knew, a friend. Run away from start to finish though it never ends. In her mind she is blinded by all she sees. Close your eyes, just pretend the bullet isn't there. No surprise, no need to pretend that no one really even cares. But in her eyes you will find the very best in me." (Makeover).

"When writing your history, I will always be a footnote, a distant memory, a warning sign of mistakes made." (Silver).

This guy...he has a voice that is MADE for recording. And he's really good to watch live too. The combination is just irresistable. Seriously.

Oh yeah...and while you're already buying the Analog Heart album on Amazon, head over to iTunes and download Cookie's performances and studio versions. And while you're there, buy the ones that Michael Johns did too. You won't regret it. They're awesome.

P.S. I love that David has so much going on in his personal life right now...and yet he refuses to talk about it or use it as a means for garnering "sympathy votes." He wants to win this shindig...but he wants to win it on his own merits, and not because he has one of the biggest, sweetest hearts out there. Vote for Cookie!

3 comments:

Hinsley Ford said...

Love your post! The WordNerd thing really appealed to me too. When Simon said it was boring, I was like ...what do you think, American Idol fans are all simpletons? Was I supposed to be all excited because Robbie was a drag racer? Whatever.
I so agree about lyrics. They're very important to me too. Thank you for writing out some of David's. I haven't heard anything from his solo album yet - what songs do you recommend?

thanks!
Hinsley

Anonymous said...

Hello, who are you, and what are you doing in my head, posting word for word what I wanted to post in my blog? I'll just link to this post instead, I guess.

TrendWatcher said...

I am glad you have a blog and did this post because it is EXACTLY what I would write if I were not too lazy to have a blog. Except for the Michael John's stuff. C'mon, David Cook is a songwriter. And his voice is like a pitchfork made out of platinum. What a combo, what a guy....