Friday, July 25, 2008

SYTYCD - Top 8 - Results

The night started off with a group performance choreographed by Chuck Maldonado.



We then learned which dancers were in the Bottom 2 Guys and the Bottom 2 Girls: Will, Twitch, Comfort, and Courtney. I think everyone was shocked that Mark was safe. He was in the Bottom 2 last week, and he arguably had the weakest performance of all the guys on Wednesday night, with his Foxtrot. I'm not upset that he was safe...I love him! He is fabulous!!! For me, it's not just about technical skill, it's about who moves me, who makes me feel something. Mark consistently has done that. Very cool that he was safe.

Each of those dancers then performed yet another solo, just because.

Comfort


Will


Courtney


Twitch


And then Cat revealed with of those dancers would be leaving the competition: Comfort and Will. So, maybe this time, Comfort is leaving the competition IV REAL. Here's hoping that happens, at the very least. Tonight was a tough one for me, as far as the guys are concerned. I have genuinely enjoyed all of the guys who were in the Top 5 guys, and it is only going to get tougher each week. I think I have finally figured out that my overall favorite throughout the whole competition has been Twitch. I think he is fabulous. And he's been a favorite for me since before the season started...since Vegas week of last year! So seeing him in the Bottom 2 with Will (who is easily the best technical dancer on the show) was a tough one. I was biting my fingernails with nervousness for Twitch. Granted, it seems that the voters have been in agreement with me about Will...fabulous dancing, but lacking that little something extra that makes you just LOVE to watch him. He has shown that he is extremely creative and diverse in his solos - no two have been even similar, let alone exactly alike (like all of Comfort's solos). And frankly, his solos make me take notice, make me feel something, make me love him. They have since his very first audition! But there have only been a couple of his partner routines that have done the same. Something is lacking there, and we can no longer blame it on Jessica!

Anyways, Twitch is safe for another week! Thank you!!!

So far, since we were down to the Top 6 guys, they have been going home in the order that I had worked out in my head fairly early on in the season. Thayne, then Gev, then Will...leaving Twitch, Joshua, and Mark. I have a bad feeling in my mouth that it is going to continue in the order I had in my head earlier too...Twitch, then Mark, then Joshua will win. Not that I don't think Joshua will make a great winner! He will! I still love him, and Mark too. I've just gotten to the point that none of the dancers are above Twitch when it comes to my personal favorites. *sigh*

This next week is going to be another tough one for me. I think regardless of which one of Joshua and Twitch goes home...it will be one of them. They are both fabulous, but I think they are splitting a fanbase, at least to an extent. One of them has to go home if the other one is going to have a chance to beat Mark in the finale.

And yeah, I realize I am talking an awful lot about the remaining guys and not so much about the remaining girls. The girls this season, for the most part, haven't done much for me. My early favorites were Kherington, Chelsie, and Katee. Kherington has been eliminated. Chelsie has seemed to kind of flatline for me - she doesn't seem to be improving each week, so she is still at the same place I feel like she was at the beginning of the show. I want more from her. I want her to wow me again, and frankly, she hasn't in a long time. And her solos? Ugh. She needs to work on her solos in a big way. I realize it is difficult for a latin/ballroom dancer to dance a solo, but there have been many who have done it on this show in the past, and who have danced better solos than what she is doing. She needs to step up her game! I don't feel like she is as good a ballroom dancer as Heidi, Lacey, or Anya from previous seasons. And while she has proven to be versatile, she isn't making me love her as much as I loved some of them. And then we come to Katee. I still love Katee...she is a fabulous dancer, and she hasn't let me down a single time. My only concern for her is that I just don't think she has a chance to beat any of the guys. Nothing against her at all...I just think the guys are more unique, more interesting dancers...even if they aren't as technically good as Katee, and even if they have each screwed up a time or two in their routines. With Katee, I feel like she is incapable of messing up. I expect perfection (or near perfection) from her. I guess it might have something to do with those expectations. I don't expect Joshua to be able to dance a samba. I don't expect Twitch to be able to dance a contemporary. I don't expect Mark to be able to dance a hip hop. So when they do, and do it well, it seems better than when Katee dances anything, which I expect her to be able to do well, and then does it extremely well. Probably not fair, I realize. But that seems to be how it is for me.

More next week!

No comments: