Wednesday, June 18, 2008

SYTYCD Top 18 - Commentary

Chelsea and Thayne - Jazz (Mandy Moore) - Um...interesting costumes. I really like the choreography that Mandy gave them, and I feel like the characters gave them a great excuse to really throw themselves into the performance and lose their inhibitions, but I don't think they accomplished that at all. It was okay, but they didn't give it everything they had, and it made the entire routine very lackluster. They felt...disconnected...not only from the performance, but from each other.

Chelsie and Mark - Argentine Tango (Alex de Silva) - Mark likes "meaty" dancing. LOL. Great choreography, amazing chemistry between the two, their intensity (especially Mark's) is off the charts. And who woulda thunk that a guy like him who is so out in left field as far as his own personal dance style could dance such a difficult and intricate tango as this, and pull it off like he does this every day? Wow. He seriously impressed me with that. I like them more and more, the more I see of them. They are one of my favorite couples, easily. And Nigel, I'm sorry, but I don't think Chelsie is capable of "sleazy"...she is adorable, but it's just not gonna happen.

Jessica and Will - Hip Hop (Cicily and Olisa) - Did we really need to bring this choreography team back? Sorry...not much of a fan of their work. Will is hitting it really hard, but I can't tell that Jessica is hitting anything. She is holding on to her lyrical personal dance style way too much, and is just not believable doing hip hop. Will looks like a natural at this style though. I think he may have taken classes with Debbie Allen in a lot of styles, so there is likely a whole lot that we still have to see from him. Nigel seems desperate to keep this pair out of the bottom three a second week in a row, because I would imagine he doesn't want to see Will there again...but frankly, he is so far better than Jessica, that she needs to go home. She is holding him back. Sorry if you are a fan of hers, but it's the truth. So I feel like Nigel went a bit light on her in hopes to save them from B3 hell.

Kourtni and Matt - Foxtrot (Jean-Marc Genereaux) - I actually think this is a great choice of dance style for Matt, to be able to show some personality. Jean-Marc did a wonderful job with the choreography. They are doing so much better than last week, its a bit unreal. I think being in the B3 last week really lit a fire under them both, and they are engaging with the dance, and with each other. Nice lifts, great energy, decent footwork...overall, a really nice job. Again, I've got to disagree with Nigel a bit, as far as not finding them believable in their performance. Last week, I didn't buy either of them. This week, I believed the whole thing.

Courtney and Gev - Contemporary (Mandy Moore) - I don't know that I've ever seen a Mandy Moore contemporary routine (at least not one that I remember), so this will be interesting for me. I think Gev has a little bit of a crush. LOL. I really love the opening to the piece, with them just laying down/sitting on the floor of the stage. Mandy choreographed some gorgeous lifts for them, that really fit well with the piece as a whole. I actually really am loving this. Gev is surprisingly really great at the contemporary styling of the piece. He is more than holding his own with her, and he definitely redeemed himself from the "Disco Duck" comment from Nigel last week. I don't see the jazz styling that Mia sees from Courtney. Not sure where that is coming from.

Katee and Joshua - Broadway (Tyce Diorio) - GREAT choreography from Tyce. I am in love with this, and even more because they are performing the heck out of it. That backflip from Joshua was seriously amazing. Tyce really put stuff in here that I'm not sure any of the guys this season but Joshua could pull off. And their personalities? Wow. Beautiful dancing tonight, again. These two are also officially amongst my favorite couples. That was so much fun. Not only was it fun, but it was really danced very well. I still am surprised at how much I'm liking Katee, too, because I really did not like her that much in her audition, and I was seriously turned off by her when they were selecting the Top 20. I love them both. And their partnership is on fire.

Susie and Marquis - Salsa (Alex de Silva) - This should be right up Susie's alley, since she is supposedly a salsa dancer. Ouch. Alex called her a "street dancer," not a salsa dancer. Sadly, I think he is right. Marquis is outdancing her in her own style, and frankly he isn't doing that well. She is doing the moves, but there is nothing behind them. I am very underwhelmed by her. Alex put some really interesting lifts and tricks in this one, and she totally should have shined in it. I'm not really impressed though. There is no connection to each other, little connection to the dance...it's just not right.

Kherington and Twitch - Viennese Waltz (Jean-Marc Genereaux) - Jean-Marc choreographed this piece for not only Twitchington, but really for his daughter. He nearly had me crying before they started dancing. Wow. I've got chills watching them...Twitch is so smooth and elegant out there, and Kherington's lines are beyond gorgeous. And yes, if you were wondering, they are also amongst my favorite couples at this point. I love that Twitch is really able to dance in these styles that are so completely different from hip hop and popping, and make them look RIGHT. That was beautiful. I really don't know what Mia is talking about with the smiling being too glossy for the piece. Nigel has it right. The piece was about uplifting Jean-Marc's daughter, not about depicting the struggles she is living with...her smile is perfect for that. Kherington's smile felt very real and full of life and love.

Comfort and Chris - Krump (Lil C) - Should be interesting for Chris. And he actually seems to be somewhat hanging with Comfort on this one. But you know, I honestly want more from her. I want her to blow me away with this, and she isn't. It's not quite as disappointing to me as Susie doing salsa, but she just isn't exciting me on this routine. It's not horrible...but they weren't great either. They were just okay. But still, Chris was much better at krumping than I think anyone ever expected him to be.

My top 3: Kherington and Twitch, Katee and Joshua, and Chelsie and Mark.

Honorable Mention goes to Courtney and Gev.

My bottom 3: Susie and Marquis, Chelsea and Thayne, and Comfort and Chris.

Video soon...waiting on someone to upload to youtube.

No comments: