Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SYTYCD - Top 20 - Commentary

Rayven and Jamie – Hip Hop – really cute. Not the hardest hitting hip hop routine, but I really kind of liked the vibe of it. It really wasn’t something that blew me away at all though. Hmmmm…Will I remember this one after seeing nine other routines? Probably not so much.

Susie and Marquis – Smooth Waltz – He hits some beautiful lines, but his posture seems off in hold. Those lifts seemed off too. I’m just not sure about her still. Kind of a boring dance for the first night. I don’t think I’ll remember them by the end of the two hours.

Kourtni and Matt – Jazz – I really like her, and I really wanted to like this routine, but I’m not sure about it. It felt really uptight, and jazz dancing should be a bit more loose and free flowing. I just wanted more from them. Seems to be a running theme so far for the night. (And who woulda thunk I would be agreeing with Dan Karaty so much tonight??? I’m baffled…)

Chelsea and Thayne – ChaCha – Technically very good…but I kept wishing that Thayne would get down and dirty a little more. She seemed to really get the vibe of the dance, and he seemed to have the technique down but not the vibe. Overall though, I think that they are the best so far tonight.

Chelsie and Mark – Contemporary – really interesting choreography by Mia, again. I really think they did well with it, but it was sometimes difficult to tell because of the way her dress moved around, but I actually really loved what we could tell there. The concept of the dance was fabulous. I’m in love with so many of Mark’s quirks…they may not be technically great, but they are interesting and unique. This was the first truly memorable performance of the night.

Kherington and Twitch – Broadway – Twitchington…LMAO. I think this was a great number for the two of them to start out with, and I think they did a fabulous job with it. It really was a perfect fit for their personalities. I think they will easily be one of my favorite couples this season…they are both so engaging and energetic. I really, really liked this. Another memorable performance. Looks like they’re finally turning it on. I hope that the rest of the night is following the lines of these last couple of performances.

Comfort and Chris – Jive – They seemed to be on at different times…sometimes she really shone, and at other times he did, but never at the same time, to me. I thought he was the better of the pair though, at really getting the feel of the jive. Pretty decent, but not great. She is adorable though. I really like her. Oh yeah, and Nigel doing her accent? HEE!!! And yet again…(I am so at a loss about this happening)…Dan was right on the money. Oy, what is this world coming to?

Katee and Joshua – Hip Hop – Definitely the better hip hop routine of the night. Much more hard hitting, but still with a romantic twist, and a bit of a soft side. I really, really liked that. Awesome choreography, great story line, and it was really memorable. They did really, really good. They were perfectly in sync when they should be, and their solo stuff was all really intriguing too. I was really impressed by them both, and that surprises me about Katee, because I never liked anything that I saw of her before tonight.

Jessica and Will – Tango – Their chemistry is really, really great. Will’s feet seemed a bit off to me though? Not sure. I loved his carriage and posture, but I thought she didn’t really pull it all off. I’m not thrilled with her lines. He definitely stole the show on this tango. I’m not so sure that they are the “couple to beat” like Mary thinks. He might be…not sure about her.

Courtney and Gev – Disco – Good, fun, playful…nice lifts. Disco is not my thing, especially the way Doriana choreographs it. I thought Nigel was a bit harsh on them, actually. It’s not one that is going to stand out to me as one of the best of the night, but it wasn’t the worst either. Evs.

So…best of the night for me? Twitchington, Katee and Joshua, Chelsea and Mark.

No comments: