Thursday, November 22, 2007

In the Silence, I Think of You...

...I send a message and I hope it gets through.

Ten years ago today, Michael Hutchence left the world. He had spent the previous twenty years as the lead singer and frontman of INXS, writing and recording groundbreaking music, touring the world, playing to crowds of adoring fans, and otherwise being the embodiment of what most people would consider a rock star.

Ten years ago, his friends, family, bandmates, and fans across the world mourned together. Ten years ago, we all lost an icon, a poet, a singer, a legend.

Ten years ago, we cried.

Today, we remember, we reminisce, we regret, we relish, we relive. It has been ten years without Hutch...ten years of sadness and of joy. We no longer have INXS with Michael, but we once again have INXS.

Today in the United States, it is Thanksgiving. Today, I am thankful for the twenty years that Michael graced the world as a whole with...I am thankful for his heart and soul that he poured into his music...I am thankful that INXS has chosen to continue to honor his legacy instead of allow his music to die with him...

Today, I may cry. But more than that...today, I celebrate. I choose to celebrate the life of this beautiful man, a life that he opened to the world. So I will listen to his music, and I will reminisce about his legacy. But I will spend the day, thankful for all that he gave instead of mourning for all we have lost.

Today, Hutch will be alive for me.

Cheers mate.

No comments: