Monday, November 26, 2007

The Project Runway Rundown, V4.2

Sorry it has taken me so long to get to this. The holiday weekend has put me behind on everything, but I am finally getting to this now.

This second episode begins with all of the designers reminiscing about Simone and discussing how difficult the judging was. Note to designers: Y'all had it easy for your first challenge!

Heidi meets them on the runway and allows them to choose their models. I still miss how they did it in the first season, where each challenge, they got to choose their models again. You still had some relationships form between certain models and designers...but overall, it was interesting to see how they would mix things up. It gets boring when the same designers choose the same models over and over and over again. Then Heidi tells them they will be designing for a "pop culture and fashion icon." Of course, they all start speculating on who it will be. Madonna??? Come on people. Y'all sure do think big, don't you? Snow White would be interesting though.

Tim Gunn has the designers gather around, and he introduces them to Sarah Jessica Parker, their icon, client, and a judge for this competition. They will be working in pairs to design a two piece outfit for SJP's line Bitten, with a budget of only $15. Their designs will sell for under $40, and the winning design may be sold as part of the Bitten fall/winter collection. They all sketch and then pitch their designs to SJP...and then she chooses 7 to go ahead with their designs. Sweet P is starting to panic about the team thing already. I can't say I blame her. The team challenges are always iffy...and there are some people on this cast I would NOT want to be paired up with!

Dear lord, during their sketching time they cut to a diary room quote from Ricky where he is once again CRYING! He may challenge Andre in this area. As they are pitching to SJP, some of them are so verklempt that they can't speak. Elisa pitches a "polymorphic" design to SJP. Oy. What the fuck is polymorphic? She is seriously on another planet. And Carmen Webber is a bit full of herself. LOL. Oh well.

The seven designers chosen to go forward with their designs are Elisa (WTF???), Kit, Victorya, Marion, Ricky, Christian, and Rami. Sweet P is the last teammate to be chosen...and Elisa is the last one to choose. Poor Sweet P. I am not sure that I like her, but I really don't want to subject her to Planet Elisa. I am worried for her. But Elisa is excited for some reason...she wanted Sweet P from the beginning, she says.

While shopping at Mood, most teams go for jerseys, fleeces, and cottons. With their limited budget, they will have to shop smartly. They only have until midnight that night to finish their pieces, so they will have to work very quickly.

Rami is thinking about how to make his design work for varying body types. Stephen is concerned about the intricacy of Marion's design. Elisa is trying to explain her polymorphic dress to Sweet P and winds up spit marking the fabric. With the spit marking, Sweet P starts to freak out. I can't blame her. Elisa is a fruit loop. I think I will now call her Rooty Tooty Fresh 'N Fruity. Ricky is crying again...this time because SJP chose his design to move forward with.

Tim comes in to give his comments. He is concerned about time with Marion's garments. He also thinks that Christian's design is looking a bit fashion backward instead of fashion forward. Me too. Victorya has designed a vest with a racer back that Tim is intrigued by. He tells Rooty Tooty that she is cuckoo. I agree. I am glad someone has said it to her. I don't think she knows how to use a sewing machine. She may be afraid of them. I'm not sure. But she is trying to do everything by hand. Sweet P is worried about time and "making it work." I can't say I blame her.

Elimination day arrives, and the ladies are discussing how they are worried that Rooty Tooty can't use a sewing machine. Sweet P is determined to MAKE IT WORK. Let's hope she can. At least for her sake. Part of me hopes she can't, so that Fresh 'N Fruity goes home.

Tim Gunn comes in and tells the designers to knock SJP's socks off. They've got two hours to fit their models and do the whole hair and makeup thing. Marion's design seems to be growing. How is that top continuing to get bigger??? Bad choice of fabric. Oh well. Too late now. Sweet P is actually really liking Rooty Tooty's design now. Christian thinks he will be in the Top 2 again...but I am not so sure. It looks like it is straight out of the 1980's. Stephen is still sewing things on his and Marion's model when time is up. Oy. Not a good sign.

Runway time! SJP is joining the usual lineup of judges, Heidi, Michael, and Nina.

Kit & Chris created a pair of chocolate brown leggings and a black short-sleeved sweater top. It's really pretty cute. It is not something that anyone over a size 12 should wear, but it is very cute, and it looks like it would be budget friendly and hold up well.

Fresh 'N Fruity & Sweet P created a "polymorphic" dress and a really cute cape. I'm pretty much over the color of the dress (Chloe blue again), but I like the sleeves and the skirt on the dress, and I absolutely love the cape. I don't get the whole polymorphic thing though.

Rami & Jillian created a pair of leggings and some sort of giant shirt with a huge belt around it. To me, it is pretty ugly. I can see that it could be worn by women of various sizes, but that does not mean it will look good on any of them. Blech.

Marion & Steven put out a garbage bag. Okay, it wasn't a garbage bag. But I don't know what you would call it. The top has grown even more since the last time we saw it. It is like watching lava. Ridiculous. It is so big that you can't see the skirt underneath. But you can see her bra through the top. And what a boring color. I'd take Chloe blue over that any day. Blech. The fringe on the bottom of the top is longer than the skirt.

Victorya & Kevin created a babydoll dress with a plaid vest with a racer back. Honestly, to me, it is very boring. It looks well made, but that is about all I can say for it.

Christian & Carmen created a super tight dress (in Chloe blue) and a jacket that is straight out of the 80's. It looks like he even included the shoulder pads. Ugh. It is black and gray, with way too much going on. Super busy. I'm not impressed this time Christian. Not at all. Last time I felt like he was sort of updating the 80's...but this time he went straight back into them. Was he even alive in the 80's? Maybe the problem is that he doesn't remember them. And that dress is so tight that his model looks like she's got tummy rolls and such. She is likely a size 0, she should NOT look like that!

Ricky & Jack created a beautiful red dress with an interesting black belt. The dress could easily go from somewhat casual to somewhat dressy. I can see how it would work with several different body types. I like the color. I like the neckline. I like the fringy stuff hanging off of the belt. Nice work.

Judgement time arrives, and Rooty Tooty and Victorya have the top designs, while Marion and Christian have the worst designs. I'm not surprised about the bottom...but I am a bit surprised about the top! I am bored by Victorya's design, and could have seen either Ricky or Kit's designs above hers.

Somehow though, Victorya wins and Marion goes home. Christian had better update his looks in the future, or he is gone soon. I think he is talented, but he's got to look to the future instead of the past. I am glad though, that Fresh 'N Fruity did not win. I don't understand her at all. Granted, I like what she designed this time in the end...but it still seems a bit overcomplicated and confusing. I love that Heidi asked her what planet she is from!

So, in a couple of days we will have the next episode. Later!

Oh yeah, and I'm going to have some Project Runway related polls going, so be sure to check them out and cast your vote.

No comments: