Monday, October 15, 2007

Elizabeth The Golden Age

I went to see it this afternoon. And yes, I really enjoyed it. Was it as good as the first film? It could easily be argued that it is not...but it is still a very well made film. The costumes and sets are breathtakingly gorgeous, the acting is superb, and the direction is excellent. My chief complaint would actually be in the writing and the overall plot of the film. The first film followed history very closely, but the film kept you in constant suspense, consistently having the action build. All components of the film heightened the drama. In this sequel, I found that there were things included which could have made the overall film a bit stronger at times, because they almost took away from the intensity.

However, this should be strong enough to garner Cate Blanchett another nomination for the Oscar for Best Actress. I'm not sure how stiff the competition will be this year, but if it is a year without any other serious contenders, she will likely win. Clive Owen was phenomenal as Sir Walter Raleigh. As a history buff, and one who is fascinated by Mary Queen of Scots, I was a bit disappointed that there was not more focus on her within the context of the story. Nothing was told about why she was imprisoned really, and there was also little focus on her claim to the throne of England. I would have liked to see a bit more of her. Oh well. No one asked me!

Anyways, go see this film! If you are at all interested in English History, or even just a good historical film, you will not be disappointed. Blanchett pulls off the role of the regal Queen of England like no one else I could imagine.

Oh yeah, and showing my shallow side...Clive Owen is HOT!

No comments: