Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Will Elizabeth be Golden?

On Friday, a new film will be opening in theaters: Elizabeth The Golden Age. I am probably looking forward to this movie than I have any movie in quite a while. Cate Blanchett will be reprising the role which should have won her an Oscar for her 1998 performance in Elizabeth. I still get upset over that one. Granted, even though I enjoyed Shakespeare in Love, I am not a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow. I thought she stole that one right out of Blanchett's hands.

Needless to say I am thrilled that she will be returning to the same role. Not only that, but Shekhar Kapur returned to direct, and Geoffrey Rush is returning to his role as Sir Francis Walsingham. This is a team that, with the right script, could (and should) turn it into an Oscar for Blanchett, even if it is nearly 10 years late in coming.

I hope that the film lives up to its promise. I will be more than a little bit upset if they let me down.

This sequel to the first film will focus on an era approximatly 30 years after Elizabeth. Clive Owen will be joining the cast to tackle the role of Sir Walter Raleigh, and viewers will also be treated to Samantha Morton in the role of Mary Stuart, better known as Mary, Queen of Scots. I would imagine that the film will tackle, at least in part, the rivalry between Elizabeth and Mary, and I am interested to see the spin Kapur puts on that relationship.

No comments: