Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Infinite Wisdom of Yogi Berra and Other Baseball Legends

Since we're in the middle of playoff baseball, I thought I'd take a look at some quotes from one of baseball's legends, Mr. Yogi Berra. One thing it seems you could always count on from him was a good sound bite, and something that would make you laugh. A few of my favorites:
  • "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
  • "You can observe a lot by watching."
  • "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
  • "Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken."
  • "We made too many wrong mistakes."
  • "It ain't over 'til its over."

You've got to love him. How could you not? With classics like these, he will forever live in my heart. Oh yeah, and he was a great baseball player too!

Some other classic baseball quotes:

  • "I never did say that you can't be a nice guy and win. I said that if I was playing third base and my mother rounded third with the winning run, I'd trip her up." - Leo Durocher
  • "Fans don't boo nobodies." - Reggie Jackson
  • "Concentration is the ability to think about absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary." - Ray Knight
  • "The secret of successful managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the four guys who haven't made up their minds." - Casey Stengal
  • "If you don't win, you're going to be fired. If you do win, you've only put off the day you're going to be fired." - Leo Durocher
  • "I don't want them to forget Babe Ruth. I just want them to remember me!" - Hank Aaron
  • "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many players on the field?" - Jim Boulton
  • "Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time." - Lou Brock
  • "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat." - Christy Mathewson
  • "The trouble is not that players have sex the night before a game. It's that they stay out all night looking for it." - Casey Stengal

Batter up!

No comments: